Just to make this clear: this is probably a completely useless piece of code but I just feel giddy about it :)
The snake is colored like this:
- No load (first load number = 0) : light grey / "normal" console color
- Light load (>0% - 50%) - green
- Moderate load (51% - 75%) - yellow
- High load (76% - 99%) - red
- Overload (>99%) - blinking red
The measurements are SMP-aware - e.g. the screenshots below are on a dual-core machine where "50%" load means 1 full CPU core is always busy.
One day, if I get bored (or talked into doing this in the comments on this post :) ), I plan to implement something like this (but in text mode).